Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wicked: Behind the Scenes


   I decided to take a look at the "Behind the Scenes" videos from the musical Wicked and found it extremely interesting. These videos show you how were created different aspects and key factors used in the musical, like the wigs, the costumes,  the machinery and more! I watched a couple of them, but I will definitely watch more of them when I have the time. 

    I will like to mention you some that I truly recommend you to watch (from the ones  have seen)!
   Even though it may not look so interesting, I really liked the video about the costumes of the flying monkeys! They were made primarily of flat fabric and they painted it in the colors desired. After the painting dried off, they added patted muscles to highlight the monkey-ish anatomy and painted them again. They combined many earthy colors, looking like stripes and muscles at the same time. Also, the aspect of the masks is truly fascinating. They created different masks that portrayed different expressions that will be used in the performance. The machinery in the wings that appear on one of the monkeys was very successful and expressed perfectly the meaning of the scene.

   I will also mention that the video of the wigs used is very interesting as well. How they took the shape of the actors' heads by only using plastic bags and tape! It is also fascinating how they designed those wigs (color, shape, style, etc). 

   In addition, I say two videos about scenery: The Oz Head and the Time Dragon Clock. Can you believe that the metal-like material that you see in the Time Dragon Clock is actually a foam material? They used that material to facilitate movement and fluency, plus to make it lightweight. They painted it with so much perfection that anyone can believe that it real metal! The Oz Head was also made of that material.

   One of the topics that I liked the most was about the beading in the outfits: how they had to choose a specific pattern, place and choice. They had to so so many decisions! They actually had to lay out all the beads to choose the right one. The process itself is very complicated, using frames that make the addition of beads easier and quicker. I really recommend you to watch this one!


   Well, I will watch the other videos when I can. I truly hope you like them!

    Btw, I say these videos on the link the professor has on his class syllabus. Just in case! ;)

   Sincerely,

    Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment