Thursday, September 27, 2012

"Singing in the Rain" in A Clockwork Orange



   After searching for information about why did Alex sang "Singing in the Rain" in A Clockwork Orange, I only found one reason. Malcolm McDowell (the one who played Alex) sang this song in such a terrifying rape scene only because it was the only song he knew all the lyrics to. What he did not know was how powerful it made that scene. The audience begins to experience a variety and complexity of contradiction emotions. Knowing that "Singing in the Rain" is a happy and romantic song, it completely affects and surprises the audience when it is sang in such a violent and dark scene. Also, many of the audience want to laugh at Alex's singing and dancing, yet they are traumatized by the moment in which he sings it, just about to rape a woman in front of her husband. This combination of happiness and extreme violence and horror completely alters the perspective of the audience. 


   It is such an unforgettable scene for me. I have always loved "Singing in the Rain" because my father used to sing it to me all the time, being one of his most treasured songs. I always thought of him when I heard it. However, now that I have seen such a traumatic, terrible and dark scene that includes that song, I do not see it the same way. All that I imagine is that rape scene. Oh well, guess I have to live with that ... or watch the original "Singing in the Rain" scene many times. By the way, who could have thought that the idea of integrating that song to that part came up just like that? Interesting! To conclude, I have always loved Malcolm McDowell, and he is just amazing(as always) in A Clockwork Orange. I am sure he did not imagine that the song he chose would bring so much impact on the scene and audience!




^ A Clockwork Orange  rape scene ^



^ Malcolm McDowell talking about A Clockwork Orange ^



Have a good weekend!

Sincerely,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment